New York Back and Neck Injury Lawyers
Experienced representation for people hurt in car crashes and other accidents
The incessant, nagging pain of a back or neck injury can limit your mobility and destroy your quality of life. An injury to the spinal cord can leave you totally disabled. For more than 30 years, the personal injury attorneys at Rich & Rich, P.C. have fought for injured New Yorkers. From offices in Manhattan and Long Island, we’ve handled vast numbers of cases involving injuries to the neck and back. We understand how painful these injuries can be, and we are determined to obtain the full compensation you deserve.
How auto accidents cause neck and back injuries
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, about one-third of all car crashes are rear-end collisions. While these might not be as deadly as head-on collisions, they are particularly hard on the back and neck, since they produce a whiplash effect. As the head and body moves rapidly forward and back, soft tissue can be stretched and torn, while nerves and spinal disks are also prone to injury in these crashes. Whiplash is also common in T-bone accidents which force the head and body violently from side to side. Due to the impact of a crash, any portion of the spine can suffer trauma, including the lower back, which may absorb most of the impact. Injuries that result from such crashes include:
- Fractured vertebrae ― The pressure put on the bones that make up the spinal column can cause them to break or even be crushed. Surgery might be necessary to repair injured spinal vertebrae, which may permanently reduce the victim’s range of motion and cause permanent disabling pain.
- Spinal cord injuries ― In violent crashes, the spinal cord itself may suffer trauma. This can cause partial paralysis, paraplegia or quadriplegia.
- Herniated discs ― When discs rupture or herniate, they press on the spinal cord, causing nerve pain that radiates downward into the legs or feet. The result could be muscle weakness, limited mobility and chronic, intense pain.
- Strains and sprains ― Minor tears in muscles and ligaments can heal over time, but can still result in permanent structural weakness, making the back and neck vulnerable to future injury.
It’s important to remember that the effects of a spine injury can linger and even become permanent. Our experienced New York City car accident lawyers know how litigate claims in order to recover compensation for long-term harm.
Symptoms of neck and back injury after a car crash
In the wake of a crash, you may not know you’ve sustained a neck or back injury. Adrenaline often masks pain, and many soft tissue injuries do not set in until hours have passed. You might think you came through your accident unscathed. However, in the coming days, you might feel a range of symptoms that include:
- Stabbing or dull pain
- Pain radiating from the neck, through the shoulders and into the arms and hands
- Pain radiating from the lower back down the legs
- Numbness or tingling throughout the arms or legs
- Stiffness and limited range of motion
- Problems walking, standing, or sitting
It’s also possible for someone hurt in a car accident or fall to experience a range of concussion effects, such as light sensitivity, difficulty focusing and fatigue. If you are feeling one or more of these symptoms, it is vitally important to seek immediate medical treatment, both for your health and to provide support for your legal case.
Contact New York attorney for a free consultation about a back or neck injury claim
Rich & Rich, P.C. in Manhattan and Roslyn Heights, Long Island assists accident victims who have sustained neck and back injuries. As our track record shows, our attorneys fight to obtain the maximum compensation possible for New Yorkers. Call today at 347-696-7707 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.