New York City Car Accident Attorneys
Auto accident lawyers in Midtown Manhattan serve clients throughout the five boroughs
Rich & Rich, P.C., one of New York's premier personal injury law firms, provides personalized and skilled legal guidance to auto accident victims. Over the past few years, New York City has experienced an increase in traffic mortality. In the first three months of 2022 alone, 59 people were killed in vehicle collisions, versus 41 fatalities from the same period the year before. If you are seriously injured in a car crash, or a family member dies in a vehicle accident, the liable parties should be held fully accountable. Working with a seasoned New York car accident attorney gives you the best chance at maximizing your financial recovery through a settlement or jury verdict.
Which roads and intersections in NYC are the most dangerous?
In a recent year, 228,047 vehicle crashes in the five boroughs, causing 44,300 injuries. That amounts to 624 motor vehicle accidents every day. Between residents, commuters heading into transit hubs like Penn Station and tourists visiting site such as Times Square and Bryant Park, the city is once again very busy. Drivers on NYC roadways have little margin for error, and a moment’s carelessness can produce tragedy.
Most of the worst arteries for traffic accidents are high-volume arteries, such as Rockaway Blvd., Bruckner Blvd., Flatbush Avenue and Atlantic Avenue. But Manhattan has many streets that are frequent accident scenes, such as 10th Avenue, East 36th Street, the FDR Drive and other major thoroughfares.
New York car accidents due to road hazards and defects
In addition to careless drivers, New Yorkers face dangers from unsafe roadways, intersections, bridges and tunnels. Lack of maintenance and obstructions from repair work lead to various types of problems, including slick surfaces during bad weather. Other traffic hazards that can cause injury include:
- Broken or ill-timed traffic lights
- Collapsing roads or bridges
- Poorly marked or painted lanes
- Missing or defective manhole covers
- Obstructive foliage
An experienced accident lawyer can advise you as to who might be legally liable for your accident-related injury, but it is vital to act quickly, because the period for filing a lawsuit is much shorter when the city or a government entity is the defendant.
Who is responsible for my car accident and injuries?
At trial, a plaintiff seeking compensation for injuries must prove by a preponderance of the evidence that someone negligently caused their accident. A list of possible defendants can include:
- Drivers of other passenger vehicles
- The driver of your car (if you were a passenger)
- Truck drivers
- Bus drivers
- Trucking companies
- Municipal or governmental entities responsible for maintaining roadways, bridges, or tunnels
We investigate your crash thoroughly to ascertain who could be at fault. Then we fight to hold them fully accountable.
Car accidents in New York cause serious injuries
One of the most common injuries that occurs in a car accident is whiplash, a painful injury that often does not arise until some time has passed. If your neck or back pain persists it can be a sign of serious injury to a spinal disc. Other types of car accident injuries include the following:
- Wrongful death
- Broken and fractured bones
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Lower and upper limb injuries
- Muscle and ligament injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
By consulting with medical experts to understand the full extent of your injuries, we pursue the maximum amount of damages for you.
Why should I hire a New York car accident attorney after a car accident in NYC?
Under New York’s no-fault insurance law, you can only sue an at-fault driver if you have what the law recognizes as a serious injury. Our attorneys can help you understand if your case meets this threshold. We also perform a number of key tasks in these matters, such as:
- Investigating the crash and gathering the necessary evidence
- Identifying the proper defendants to pursue for compensation
- Giving you an informed assessment of your potential financial recovery
- Negotiating settlements with insurers and defense lawyers
- Advising you against lowball settlement offers and coercive insurance company tactics
- Providing step-by-step guidance throughout the legal process
- Take your case to trial if the defendants refuse to offer a settlement that is fair and reasonable
The choice you make in hiring a car accident lawyer could make the difference between winning and losing. Our track record show how effectively we assert the rights of injured New Yorkers.
What happens if the other driver was uninsured or underinsured?
If an at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, you can file a claim under your own uninsured or supplemental underinsured motorist coverage, which must provide at least $25,000 under New York law, but could be more based on optional coverage you have purchased. Alternately, there might be another party you can pursue as a defendant.
How much is my car accident case worth?
Each case is unique, but our experienced attorneys draw on decades of experience to evaluate what constitutes fair compensation in an auto accident case by reviewing numerous factors, such as:
- Who is at fault
- The severity of your injuries, including whether you needed hospitalization or surgery
- How long a period of rehabilitation or physical therapy might you require to make a full recovery
- Whether your injuries prevented you from going back to work, and if so, for how long
- Whether your injury will affect your future ability to perform your job and earn an income
- The impact your injuries have had on your day-to-day life
Naturally, the more severe and long-lasting the injuries, the greater the amount of damages you can recover. When you retain our services, you will have a seasoned advocate on your side determined to recover the maximum amount possible based upon the facts and circumstances in your case.
Contact the New York City car accident attorneys who fight for you
Rich & Rich, P.C. fights to obtain the maximum compensation possible for New York auto accident victims. Please call today at 212-406-0440 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. We have offices in Midtown Manhattan and Roslyn Heights, Long Island.