Accomplished New York City Birth Injury Lawyers Pursue Justice
Dedicated New York attorneys help parents of children injured at birth
Our attorneys at Rich & Rich, P.C. are experienced in handling birth injury lawsuits in New York City. Complications during labor and delivery can cause serious brain damage or other injuries to newborns. When serious conditions are caused by the negligence of medical professionals before or during the labor and delivery process, the consequences can result in a lifetime of challenges, including the possible need for special assisted care. With offices in Manhattan and Nassau County, we represent parents who received care at medical facilities throughout New York City and Long Island.
Experienced litigators handle cases involving all types of birth injuries
More than 100,000 babies are born in the New York City area each year. Hospitals like Lenox Hill, Mount Sinai, NYU Langone, NYU Winthrop, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Maimonides Medical Center and New York-Presbyterian stay busy attending to newborns and their parents.
A delivery date should be a time of joy for parents, but preventable mistakes can instead cause devastation. If your child has been diagnosed with a birth injury or you believe there were difficulties during the birthing process that caused brain damage, we are here to assist. We are experienced in handling birth injury lawsuits of all kinds, including those involving:
- Brachial plexus injuries — Injuries to the brachial plexus nerves in a newborn’s shoulder are common during childbirth, and may have temporary or permanent side effects for a child. Erb’s palsy is one type of brachial plexus injury that can result in lifelong disability.
- Cerebral palsy — A newborn may be diagnosed with the lifelong condition of cerebral palsy as a result of a various obstetric errors, including brain damage from oxygen deprivation during delivery or failure to provide proper treatment to a mother during pregnancy.
- Medical instrument injuries — Birth injuries may be caused by the incorrect use of forceps during delivery. Though many vacuum extractor injuries are minor, some are serious. Failure to properly treat minor cephalohematoma caused by use of a medical instrument can lead to major complications.
- Premature birth injuries — Doctors are trained to recognize risk factors for premature birth and to take certain actions to prevent premature birth injuries when babies arrive ahead of schedule. Failure to abide by this training can hurt the baby and mother.
- Folic acid disorder — Mothers and fetuses need certain nutrients to grow together healthily. A doctor who does not prescribe proper prenatal vitamins may be liable for a folic acid deficiency that causes spinal bifida or another developmental disorder.
- Prolapsed umbilical cord injuries — A doctor’s failure to discover a prolapsed umbilical cord puts a baby at risk for suffocation and brain damage.
Other birth related impairments and conditions that may arise due to medical malpractice include seizure disorders, learning disabilities and functional disabilities.
Diligent legal team investigates possible causes of preventable birth injuries
The negligence of hospitals and healthcare professionals might inflict permanent harm on a child. Common causes of preventable birth injuries include:
- Insufficient prenatal care by doctor
- Delayed Cesarean section
- Failure to perform proper tests
- Failure to notice symptoms of birth complications
- Failure to monitor newborn’s vitals
- Failure to recognize fetal distress
- Failure to properly adjust to a life-threatening delivery situation
- Improper use of medical devices
By holding a negligent medical provider accountable for the injury your child experienced, you may be able to help your child live with greater comfort, less pain and fewer obstacles to happiness.
Seasoned advisers outline possible compensation for birth injury lawsuits
By filing a birth injury lawsuit against a negligent professional or facility, you may be able to recover damages for the long-term physical, mental and emotional harm suffered by your child. During settlement negotiations and litigation, we vigorously pursue the compensation to address:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages for caretaking
- Necessary assistive devices
- Pain and suffering
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
A settlement package or trial award may be paid to a trust established for the child. We seek compensation sizeable enough to ensure that your child’s needs are taken care of for as long as the birth injury affects their life. We build birth injury cases with the input of medical experts and prioritize the long-term best interests of our clients and their families.
Contact skillful New York City birth injury attorneys for help suing a medical facility
With locations in Manhattan and Long Island, the law firm of Rich & Rich, P.C. represents plaintiffs in birth injury lawsuits throughout the New York metropolitan area. To arrange for a meeting with one of our respected attorneys, call 347.696.7707 or contact us online.