New York City Bicycle and E-Bike Accident Lawyers
Manhattan firm assists cyclists who have been struck by cars
Whether you’re riding a Citi Bike, your own road bike or an e-bike such as a Wing, you don’t have a lot of protection if you are struck by a car or truck weighing thousands of pounds. In an instant, your life may be changed forever. At Rich & Rich, P.C. in midtown Manhattan, we’ve secured millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for accident victims throughout the New York area. You can count on us to hold the liable parties accountable.
How an experienced personal injury lawyer helps victims of New York bicycle accidents
From the moment you’ve been hurt while riding a traditional bicycle or e-bike, the decisions you make can affect the amount of compensation you receive. Choosing the right personal injury lawyer is the best way to ensure that you will recover substantial compensation for your injuries. There are several things we can do in order to increase the likelihood of a favorable result, such as:
- Investigating the facts and circumstances of your accident
- Visiting the accident scene to take photos
- Obtaining video footage of the incident
- Collecting GPS data
- Interviewing witnesses
- Consulting with accident reconstruction specialists
You can rely on us to negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and counter the tactics they employ in an attempt to reduce your financial recovery.
Common causes of e-bike and bicycle accidents
Despite efforts such as the Vision Zero initiative, more than 4,000 injuries are suffered by New York City bicycle riders each year, according to the city’s Department of Transportation. The lack of dedicated bike lanes in many areas is a key contributor to this statistic. Other frequent causes include:
- Drunk and distracted drivers — Alcohol and distractions slow a driver’s reaction time. Someone whose focus is compromised might be aware of other cars on the road but could miss seeing a bicycle.
- Speeding and aggressive driving — New York drivers are not known for their patience. When a driver speeds, runs a red light or makes an unsafe lane change, a bicycle rider might be the victim of this negligence.
- Road hazards — Potholes and other road obstacles might be barely noticeable to a motorist, but they can cause a serious bike crash. In some cases, debris or a poorly maintained roadway can cause a cyclist to fall off of their bike. Other times, a bicycle rider might have to swerve toward traffic to avoid a dangerous road condition.
Our firm has extensive experience handling all types of injury cases arising from collisions involving bicycles. We work with clients who have been injured in the following types of incidents:
- Collisions between bicycles and motor vehicles, including city buses
- Incidents where a bicycle strikes a car door that has been suddenly opened in its path
- Accidents involving dangerous manhole covers or other road hazards
We also represent victims in cases commonly associated with e-bikes, such as claims arising from:
- Collisions with pedestrians, traditional bicycles and other e-bikes
- Failure to maintain an e-bike properly
Whatever caused your injury, our firm will advocate to get you the compensation that you are entitled to.
Bicycle accidents usually cause serious injuries to the cyclist
People on any type of bicycle are at high risk for a severe or catastrophic injury in a collision, even if they’re wearing a helmet. Specific types of medical conditions bike crash victims might experience include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage that could result in paralysis
- Broken and fractured
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal injuries caused by a blow to the torso
- Road rash and other types of cuts
No matter what your specific claim entails, we will fight to get you fair compensation for past and future pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress and other damages caused by your accident.
Time is limited to pursue legal action after a bicycle accident
Time is of the essence when you are seeking compensation for injuries caused by a bicycle accident. You may only have 90 days to file a claim against liable municipal or government entities, and some insurance claims must be submitted within 30 days. Even if your case is subject to New York’s three-year statute of limitations for personal injury actions, acting quickly increases your chance for a favorable outcome because evidence and witnesses will be easier to locate.
Even if you are found to be partly responsible for a bicycle accident, you can still recover damages from the defendant in a personal injury claim or action. Your award would be reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to you by a jury.
Contact a New York City bicycle accident attorney to set up a free consultation
Rich & Rich, P.C. seeks compensation for individuals who have been seriously injured in accidents involving bicycles and e-bikes. For a free consultation with an accomplished New York lawyer, please call 347-696-7707 or contact us online for a free initial consultation. We have an office in midtown Manhattan, located at 1430 Broadway, Suite 1802.