Queens Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
New York lawyers representing Queens victims of nursing home abuse or neglect
As New York City’s second-most populous borough, it’s natural that Queens has numerous nursing homes. These facilities not only house residents from the borough, but people from Brooklyn, the other boroughs and Long Island as well. Wherever they come from, the women and men in these nursing homes have the right to live in a safe, respectful environment. With an office in Bayside, Queens and two other area locations, Rich & Rich, P.C. is a strong advocate for individuals who have suffered abuse and neglect in nursing homes. We take the mistreatment of seniors seriously and vigorously pursue substantial compensation for victims and their families.
What are the most common types of nursing home abuse and neglect?
In Queens and elsewhere, we handle nursing home abuse and neglect cases arising from:
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Conditions caused by the failure to move residents properly
- Unnecessary illnesses
- Accidental deaths
Whatever led to your nursing home claim, our accomplished attorneys deliver strategic advice and strong advocacy.
What are the warning signs of nursing home abuse and neglect?
Elderly residents of care facilities might not be able or willing to tell someone they are being mistreated. Signs that you should look for if you think a loved one is suffering from abuse or neglect include:
- Unexplained injuries, marks and bruises — A broken hip, unexplained bruises or marks on a nursing home resident could indicate that a serious problem exists. We can investigate the injuries and see if they resulted from a failure to monitor the victim properly, rough treatment while moving the victim in or out of their wheelchair, the use of unlawful restraints or some other reasons.
- Bedsores and ulcers — Nursing home employees need to make sure that seniors who spend a great deal of time in their bed or wheelchair are moved frequently and checked so that they don’t suffer inactivity-related conditions such as ulcers (commonly referred to as bedsores).
- Sudden weight loss — The people who care for elderly facility residents have a responsibility to make sure that they are receiving proper nutrition. Rapid weight loss might mean that no one is paying attention to your loved one’s eating habits. These problems might also be associated with medication errors or dehydration.
- Infections and viruses — The COVID crisis drew attention to the devastating effect that a virus can have on a nursing home, and there are other serious ailments, such as sepsis infections and flu bugs, that can inflict serious harm if a facility doesn’t observe professional hygiene standards.
There’s no risk when speaking to one of our nursing home abuse lawyers, because we don’t get paid until you collect a financial recovery.
What are the rights of nursing home residents?
New York State has set forth certain rights and responsibilities related to nursing home care. Among other things, these guidelines are meant to protect residents of care facilities from:
- Physical, verbal, sexual and mental abuse
- Use of restraints against residents
- Infringement on a resident’s privacy rights
Our firm takes on nursing homes that break these and other rules.
What kind of compensation can I get in a nursing home abuse or neglect claim?
With the high cost of medical treatment, compensation in a nursing home abuse settlement or verdict can substantially improve your quality of life. Plaintiffs can recover payment for healthcare costs, pain and suffering, emotional harm and other damages available under New York law. Victims of malicious or reckless behavior might be able to obtain punitive damages as well.
Contact an experienced Queens nursing home abuse lawyer to set up a consultation
From our office in Bayside, Queens, as well as two other New York locations, Rich & Rich, P.C. represents victims of nursing home abuse and neglect. Please call 347-696-7707 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.